This summer, give us all the salads! We’ve teamed up with Mann’s Fresh Vegetables and several of our favorite healthy food bloggers to give you ideas for #SummerSalads.
We can’t get enough of this slaw and ascribe to the idea that you can never have too many salad recipes featuring our Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice® and Sun-Maid® California Figs. With all of the Southwest flavors, from a BBQ ranch dressing to the smoky roasted chickpeas, it’s easy to say yes to this salad.
You can scale this salad easily up to 8 servings—simply prepare a double batch of the BBQ ranch dressing recipe and toss with an extra bag of Mann’s Broccoli Cole Slaw®. There are enough of the mix-ins for each bowl to still feel abundant.
The best part is this slaw’s portability. If you prep all of the salad ingredients in advance, whisk together the BBQ ranch dressing, and roast the chickpeas, you’ve got all the fixings for a make-ahead salad that’s great for weekday lunches (layer the ingredients in a quart-sized glass Mason jar for easy transport), or to tote along to summer picnics in the park or beach. If you opt to take it with you, you’ll want to toss all the ingredients together in a big bowl, which you can also do at home if you instead of serving the salad with mounds of mix-ins on top (though we think that’s pretty presentation and makes the salad fun). Your call!
Southwest Slaw with BBQ Ranch Dressing Recipe
- 1 (15.5 oz.) can chickpeas, drained, rinsed + patted dry
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil (or other neutral oil like canola or grapeseed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
BBQ Ranch Dressing
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons + 1 tablespoon BBQ sauce, divided
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced scallions
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 (12 oz.) Mann’s Broccoli Cole Slaw Mix® package
- 4 ounces white cheddar, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 (13 oz.) jicama, cut into 1-inch matchsticks
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 (8 oz.) bag Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice® or Sun-Maid® California Mission Figs, stems removed + sliced crosswise (1 cup)
- 1 large yellow or orange bell pepper, cored + sliced into 2-inch strips
- 16 cherry tomatoes, sliced crosswise
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted + thinly sliced
Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a sheet pan with parchment.
Toss chickpeas with oil, salt, chile powder, and paprika. Tumble onto lined sheetpan, jostling so they’re in a single layer. Roast for about 37 minutes. They will finish crisping as they cool.
Make the BBQ Ranch Dressing Recipe: Whisk together the buttermilk, parsley, mayonnaise, BBQ sauce, garlic, scallions, vinegar, salt, and dill until combined.
Assemble salad bowls: Toss slaw in BBQ Ranch Dressing. Nestle a bed of slaw into four pasta bowls. Disperse slaw ingredients among four bowls, nudging close together in mounds: cheese cubes, jicama, corn, California Figs, bell pepper, tomatoes, avocado slices, and chickpeas. Drizzle on the remaining 1 tablespoon of BBQ sauce on top.
Recipe and photos by Annelies Zijderveld