Every year, when Easter rolls around, we’ve got an arsenal of recipes we turn to. The main dish is easily our Fig Brown Sugar Glazed Ham and usually we pass around deviled eggs as a starter. But, when it comes to dessert, we crave carrot cake around this time of year and this is a carrot cake recipe to hold onto. Instead of serving tall slices of layer cake, we’re opting for mini bundt cakes, full of sweet Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs and honey cream cheese drizzle on top. Spring forward on this festive dessert to share at celebrations and with carrot cake lovers.
Fig Carrot Mini Bundt Cakes with Honey Cream Cheese Drizzle
Carrot Mini Bundt Cakes
- 1 orange
- 1 cup Blue Ribbon® Orchard Choice® or Sun-Maid® California Figs, stemmed and finely chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or all-purpose flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 cups shredded carrot, about 8 ounces (shredded with large holes of box grater)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped, toasted walnuts
Honey Cream Cheese Drizzle
- 6 ounces 1/3 less fat or regular cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons orange juice
Grate orange peel to make 1 teaspoon zest. Halve orange and ream to make juice. Combine figs and ¼ cup juice in microwave safe bowl (reserve remaining juice for Drizzle); cover with vented plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Set aside.
Adjust oven rack to middle position. Preheat oven to 350° F. Coat 12 mini-bundt molds with baking spray or oil. Dust with flour and tap out excess.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and cloves.
In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs, granulated and brown sugar until blended. Slowly beat in oil, vanilla and orange zest. With spatula, mix in fig mixture and carrots. Gently fold in dry ingredients, just until combined.
Spoon batter into bundt molds. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until pick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs clinging. Cool 10 minutes in pan. Remove to wire rack to cool completely. Run a thin knife around edges if needed to help release cakes.
To make Drizzle: beat cream cheese and butter with electric mixer until blended. Beat in honey, vanilla and enough orange juice to make a frosting of drizzling consistency. Drizzle over cooled cakes. Sprinkle with walnuts.
Recipe and photo by Lorelle Del Matto