To ensure a smooth glaze make sure to sift the confectioners sugar before mixing with the lime juice.
California Fig, Coconut-Lime Dream Bites
Servings 15 bars
- 1 2/3 cups cake flour sifted
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 11 tbsp unsalted butter cut into 1/2" pieces and chilled
Filling and Glaze
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- 4 eggs large
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stemmed and chopped
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup walnuts toasted and chopped
- 4 tsp grated lime zest
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar sifted
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut toasted
For the Crust
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Lay sheets of aluminum foil perpendicular to each other in 13 by 9-inch pan, with extra foil hanging over edges of pan. Push foil into corners and up sides of pan, smoothing foil flush to pan. Process flour, sugar, and salt in food processor until combined, about 30 seconds. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal, about 10 pulses. Transfer mixture to prepared pan and press into even layer. Bake until edges are lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Let crust cool in pan for 5 minutes.
For the Filling
- Whisk sugar, eggs, vanilla, salt, and baking powder together. Stir in figs, coconut and walnuts. Pour filling over warm crust and bake until filling is set, about 25 minutes. Cool bars in pan for 5 minutes.
For the Glaze
- Combine lime zest and granulated sugar in bowl; set aside. Whisk confectioners’ sugar and lime juice together in second bowl until smooth. Pour glaze over warm bars and spread into even layer. Sprinkle with lime sugar and toasted coconut. Let bars cool completely in pan on wire rack, about 2 hours. Using foil overhang, lift bars from pan and cut into 15 pieces. Serve. (Store bars at room temperature for up to 2 days.)
Valley Fig Growers is a proud sponsor of Cook’s Country TV.