Bacon, Caramelized Onion Fig + Goat Cheese Pizza
Use store bought pizza dough and any night is pizza night. Topped with bacon, dried figs, chevre, don’t miss the final topping tip: how to caramelize onions.
Servings 1 pizza
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds yellow onions thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stemmed, sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1 package refrigerated dough for pizza crust
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 2/3 cup cooked chopped bacon optional
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-low to low heat. Add onions, salt and pepper; cover cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove cover and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Add figs, vinegar, 2 tablespoon water and oregano; cook and stir 1 minute or until most of liquid evaporates. Preheat oven to 400˚. Unroll pizza dough onto oiled 15-x-10-inch or larger baking sheet (or unroll dough onto oiled large pizza pan and pat to 14-inch circle). Spread fig mixture evenly over dough. Sprinkle with cheese and bacon. ake 15 to 18 minutes, until crust is golden. Cut into rectangles or wedges to serve.
Variations: Brie Cheese: Bake pizza as directed without cheese. When pizza is done, remove from oven and sprinkle 4 ounces sliced brie cheese (rind removed and discarded) over hot pizza. Photography David Campbell