Whole-Wheat Spaghetti with Cauliflower and California Figs
Combine with whole wheat spaghetti with cauliflower for a substantial vegetarian meal. Toss the pasta with cauliflower and figs for a new family favorite.
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 medium garlic cloves minced or pressed through garlic press (about 2 tablespoons)
- 6 anchovy fillets finely minced (about 1 tablespoo(see note)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Table salt
- 1 small head cauliflower cut into 1-inch florets
- 1 cup chopped Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs about 6 ounces
- 1/2 cup walnuts toasted and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons juice from 1 lemon see note
- 1 pound whole-wheat spaghetti see note
- 1 ounce grated Pecorino Romano cheese about 1/2 cup
Combine 4 tablespoons oil, garlic, anchovies, red pepper flakes, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in small bowl; set aside
Heat remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add cauliflower and ¼ teaspoon salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until well browned and tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
Push cauliflower to sides of skillet to create 3-inch clearing; add oil-garlic mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir to combine garlic mixture with cauliflower, add the dried figs and cook for 1 minute longer. Remove skillet from heat and stir in walnuts, parsley, and lemon juice.
Meanwhile, bring 4 quarts water to boil in large Dutch oven. Add pasta and 1 tablespoon salt to boiling water; cook until al dente. Reserve ¾ cup pasta cooking water, drain pasta, and return pasta to Dutch oven.
Add sauce and reserved cooking water to pasta and toss to coat. Season with salt to taste. Transfer to serving bowl, sprinkle with cheese, and serve immediately.
NOTES: The anchovies add tremendous flavor to this dish without imparting fishiness; do not omit them. Adjust the amount of lemon juice to suit your taste.
Recipe provided by Cook's Country TV. Valley Fig Growers is a proud sponsor of Cook's Country TV.
Photography by Annelies Zijderveld
Calories: 3066kcal | Carbohydrates: 397g | Protein: 102g | Fat: 139g | Saturated Fat: 22g | Cholesterol: 44mg | Sodium: 604mg | Potassium: 3299mg | Fiber: 18g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 1495IU | Vitamin C: 311.4mg | Calcium: 769mg | Iron: 23.3mg