Toasted Pine Nuts & Fig Quinoa Side Dish Recipe
Quinoa side dish recipes add extra protein on the plate. Top with toasted pine nuts & dried figs for a Cook's Country quinoa side dish recipe that's a keeper.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion , chopped fine
- 1 carrot , peeled and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup quinoa , rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup canned chickpeas , rinsed
- 5 tablespoons Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Golden Figs , stemmed and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 6 ounces kale , stemmed and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts , toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest plus 1 teaspoon juice
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in medium saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and carrot and cook until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, coriander, and pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in quinoa and cook, stirring often, until lightly toasted and aromatic, about 3 minutes.
Stir in broth, chickpeas, figs, and ⅛ teaspoon salt. Place kale on top and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until quinoa is transparent and tender, 18 to 20 minutes. Off heat, gently stir in remaining 1 tablespoon oil, pine nuts, and lemon zest and juice. Sprinkle with feta and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
Recipe and photo by
Serving: 2g | Calories: 1113kcal | Carbohydrates: 124g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 59g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 30mg | Sodium: 2252mg | Potassium: 2137mg | Fiber: 18g | Sugar: 23g | Vitamin A: 28295IU | Vitamin C: 217mg | Calcium: 587mg | Iron: 10mg