Homemade Vanilla Pudding with Figs and Toasted Coconut
How to make homemade vanilla pudding is within reach with just a few key ingredients. Toasted coconut and chewy sweet morsels of dried figs add crunch.
Servings: 6 people
- 1 cup Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stemmed and chopped fine
- 1 tbsp rum
- 1 tbsp water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 1/2 cups half and half
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tsp coconut extract
- 1/2 cup toasted coconut
1. Microwave figs, rum, and water in covered bowl until steaming, about 1 minute. Let sit until figs are softened and liquid has been absorbed, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
2. Combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan. Slowly whisk in the half and half and then the yolks. Place saucepan over medium heat; cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbling over entire surface, 5 to 8 minutes. Cook 30 seconds longer, remove from heat.
3. Strain the pudding through a fine-mesh strainer into a bowl, scrapping the inside of the strainer with a rubber spatula to pass the pudding through. Stir the butter and coconut extract into the pudding until the butter is melted. Fold reserved figs into the custard. Press plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent a skin from forming and refrigerate until set, about 3 hours.
4. Serve garnishing with toasted coconut.
Valley Fig Growers is a proud sponsor of Cook's Country TV.
Calories: 375kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 155mg | Sodium: 113mg | Potassium: 236mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 27g | Vitamin A: 700IU | Vitamin C: 1.7mg | Calcium: 163mg | Iron: 0.5mg