Turkey Chili with Figs
The best chili recipe to make with leftover Thanksgiving turkey is this Texas chili recipe. Thickened with dried figs, you can also use ground meat too.
Servings: 12 cups
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chili powder divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt plus more to taste
- 1 large white onion diced (2 1/2 cups)
- 3 carrots peeled and large diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate chopped
- 4 cups unsalted chicken broth divided
- 1 cup Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stemmed and diced
- 2 canned chipotle peppers rinsed of adobo sauce
- 1 canned tomato puree (28 ounce)
- 1 can pinto beans drained and rinsed (28 ounce)
- 1 large orange or red bell pepper seeded, cored, and diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 6 cups shredded turkey white or dark meat
- Greek yogurt
- Green onions
Warm the oil in a stockpot set over medium heat until shimmering. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the chili powder and toast for 1 minute. Add in 1 teaspoon of salt, onion and carrots, stirring occasionally until mostly softened, about 9 minutes.
Meanwhile, place the chopped chocolate in a bowl. Heat 1 cup of the chicken broth in a saucepan set over medium heat until steam rises from the top, about 3 minutes. Pour the chicken broth over the chocolate and set aside for 2 minutes. Then whisk the chocolate and broth together until combined. Toss in the mission figs.
Spoon the chipotle peppers, tomato puree, figs, and chocolate broth into the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth.
Stir in the pinto beans, bell pepper, and turkey into the stockpot to tumble with the chili-coated onion and carrots. Pour in the pureed fig tomato mixture. Stir in the remaining 3 cups of chicken broth. Season to taste. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Serve with a dollop of yogurt and chopped scallions if desired.
Calories: 131kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 36mg | Sodium: 613mg | Potassium: 345mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 3610IU | Vitamin C: 19.8mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 1.9mg