Mediterranean Pita Nachos with Figs
Making pita bread nachos switches up the usual preparation. This pita nachos recipe brings feta, figs, and olives onto the pile of pita chips.
Servings: 10 people
- 1 cup Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stemmed and finely chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1 cup Roma tomato chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives pitted, chopped
- 1/3 cup parsley finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green onion thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper optional
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded, part-sim or regular, not fresh
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese drained if in brine
- 6 ounces pita chips preferably whole grain, or homemade - recipe below
In a small bowl, stir together Salsa ingredients. Toss to blend well. Set aside for 10 minutes to blend flavors, stirring occasionally.
To bake and serve: Adjust oven rack to middle position. Preheat oven to 375°. Lightly oil a 14-inch inch pizza pan, 7-x-11-inch rectangular baking pan or other a shallow oven-safe pan. Spread half of chips in a single layer on pan. Top with half of Fig Salsa and sprinkle with half of each of the cheeses. Top with remaining chips, Salsa and cheese.
Bake nachos in oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until mozzarella cheese melts. Serve at once.
To make pita chips: Preheat oven to 375°. Warm 1/3 cup olive oil with 1 clove smashed garlic in small saucepan over medium heat, just until fragrant. Discard garlic. Slice 6 ounces whole wheat pita breads in half lengthwise to make 4 rounds. Lightly brush one sides of each with garlic-oil. Cut each round into triangle-shaped wedges. Spread in single layer on a large, oiled baking sheet. Sprinkle with a pinch or two of salt, if desired. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes, until crisp.
Recipe and photo Lorelle Del Matto
Calories: 235kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 563mg | Potassium: 141mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 995IU | Vitamin C: 24.8mg | Calcium: 209mg | Iron: 1.4mg