Mediterranean Nachos with California Figs
Servings 10 people
- 1 cup Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stemmed and finely chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1 cup Roma tomato chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives pitted, chopped
- 1/3 cup parsley finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green onion thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper optional
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded, part-sim or regular, not fresh
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese drained if in brine
- 6 ounces pita chips preferably whole grain, or homemade – recipe below
- In a small bowl, stir together Salsa ingredients. Toss to blend well. Set aside for 10 minutes to blend flavors, stirring occasionally.
- To bake and serve: Adjust oven rack to middle position. Preheat oven to 375°. Lightly oil a 14-inch inch pizza pan, 7-x-11-inch rectangular baking pan or other a shallow oven-safe pan. Spread half of chips in a single layer on pan. Top with half of Fig Salsa and sprinkle with half of each of the cheeses. Top with remaining chips, Salsa and cheese.
- Bake nachos in oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until mozzarella cheese melts. Serve at once.
To make pita chips: Preheat oven to 375°. Warm 1/3 cup olive oil with 1 clove smashed garlic in small saucepan over medium heat, just until fragrant. Discard garlic. Slice 6 ounces whole wheat pita breads in half lengthwise to make 4 rounds. Lightly brush one sides of each with garlic-oil. Cut each round into triangle-shaped wedges. Spread in single layer on a large, oiled baking sheet. Sprinkle with a pinch or two of salt, if desired. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes, until crisp. Recipe and photo Lorelle Del Matto