Mediterranean nachos are a fresh twist on a popular snack. We’ve got two ways to make them: as pita bread nachos with a pita chip nacho recipe below, or using croccantini, super-crispy crackers that keep their snap even with all the toppings.
Figs for the Pita Bread Nachos
Either Sun-Maid or Orchard Choice Golden Figs or Mission Figs would be a great choice for the pita nachos recipe. Golden Figs are nutty, slightly sweet, and tangy. Mission Figs bring a jammy, deeper sweetness that stands up well with the kalamata olives on the nachos.
Fresh Moves for Nachos
Diced red bell pepper, along with chopped tomatoes and red onions add fresh flavors. Garnished with green onion and parsley, they bring color, as lemon juice and olive oil contribute brightness. An additional flourishing of dried oregano and crushed red pepper complete the dish.
Melty Moves for Pita Bread Nachos
Instead of cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese is used—part-skim or regular shredded cheese rather than fresh mozzarealla balls. Feta cheese adds a salty note—you can use either pre-crumbled feta or a block of feta that you drain from the brine and crumble by hand.
Finally, use pita chips or croccantini. You’ll find a method below for making pita chips at home.
Mediterranean Pita Nachos with Figs
- 1 cup Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stemmed and finely chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1 cup Roma tomato chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives pitted, chopped
- 1/3 cup parsley finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green onion thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper optional
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded, part-skim or regular, not fresh
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese drained if in brine
- 6 ounces pita chips preferably whole grain, or homemade – recipe below
- In a small bowl, stir together Salsa ingredients. Toss to blend well. Set aside for 10 minutes to blend flavors, stirring occasionally.
- To bake and serve: Adjust oven rack to middle position. Preheat oven to 375°. Lightly oil a 14-inch inch pizza pan, 7-x-11-inch rectangular baking pan or other a shallow oven-safe pan. Spread half of chips in a single layer on pan. Top with half of Fig Salsa and sprinkle with half of each of the cheeses. Top with remaining chips, Salsa and cheese.
- Bake nachos in oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until mozzarella cheese melts. Serve at once.
Recipe and photo by Lorelle Del Matto