Quick Caramelized Onion, Fennel & Figs
Caramelized red onions are a fantastic condiment to burgers, pork chops, and plant-based proteins. Fennel and figs add sweetness to quick caramelized onions.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium bulb fennel (about 3/4 pound), fronds reserved and stems discarded, bulb halved, cored, and sliced thin
- 1 medium red onion halved and sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon grated orange zest and ¼ cup juice from 1 large orange
- 3/4 cup chopped Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Mission Dried Figs about 4 ½ ounces
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or chopped fennel fronds
- Ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the sliced fennel bulb, onion, fennel seeds, and ¾ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables soften and brown, about 12 minutes. Stir in the orange zest, juice and figs; cook until the liquid is evaporated, about 30 seconds. Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the fennel fronds (parsley), and adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper to taste.
NOTES: Some markets sell fennel bulbs with the stalks and fronds already removed, so the fennel fronds are optional; use parsley if the fronds are not available.
Valley Fig Growers is a proud sponsor of Cook's Country TV.
Recipe credit: America’s Test Kitchen.
Calories: 401kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 131mg | Potassium: 1216mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 705IU | Vitamin C: 42.9mg | Calcium: 177mg | Iron: 2.6mg