What do you like to top your burgers with? If you said caramelized red onions, this is the quick caramelized onions recipe for you! Adding in fennel and figs bring extra sweetness to a condiment that also works well with pork at special occasions or as a garnish for beef. These quick caramelized onions are also great on plant-based proteins too.
Quick Caramelized Onion, Fennel & Figs
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium bulb fennel (about 3/4 pound), fronds reserved and stems discarded, bulb halved, cored, and sliced thin
- 1 medium red onion halved and sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon grated orange zest and ¼ cup juice from 1 large orange
- 3/4 cup chopped Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Mission Dried Figs about 4 ½ ounces
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or chopped fennel fronds
- Ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the sliced fennel bulb, onion, fennel seeds, and ¾ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables soften and brown, about 12 minutes. Stir in the orange zest, juice and figs; cook until the liquid is evaporated, about 30 seconds. Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the fennel fronds (parsley), and adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper to taste.