We like these cookies dipped in melted chocolate (heat 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate and 1/2 cup heavy cream until smooth; stir in rum reserved from plumping figs). Note: nutrition analysis does not include the chocolate dip.
Boozy Biscotti with California Figs
- 1 cup Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stemmed and chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup spiced rum
- 1 1/4 cup instant grits
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp orange zest grated
- 2 eggs large
- 1 cup macadamia nuts chopped
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Microwave figs and rum in bowl, covered, until bubbling, about 1 minute. Let sit until figs have plumped, about 5 minutes. Drain figs, reserving rum to stir into chocolate, if using.
- Combine grits, flour, baking powder, and salt in bowl. With electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter, sugar, and zest until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs and mix until incorporated. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture, nuts, and plumped figs; mix until just combined. Form dough into two 7- by 3-inch logs and transfer to prepared baking sheet. Bake until light golden and just beginning to crack on top, about 35 minutes. Let cool on sheet 10 minutes.
- Using serrated knife, cut logs crosswise into 1/2-inch slices. Place slices 1/2-inch apart on baking sheet and bake until golden, about 10 minutes, flipping each slice halfway through baking. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely. (Cookies can be stored in airtight container for 1 week.)