California Fig and Apple Jam
If you’ve never made fig jam before, this Apple Fig Jam is a great place to start. Cook down the fruit and let the jam set-up.
- 2 quarts cored and chopped apples with skin (8 cups)
- 14 large fresh figs stems removed (approximately 16 ounces)
- 1 cup seedless grapes green or red
- ½ cup Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stems removed
- 4 white or green cardamom pods
- 1 large cinnamon stick
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon oil Boyajian preferred, or orange blossom water
- Combine the apples, fresh figs, grapes, dried figs, cardamom, cinnamon, vanilla bean paste and lemon oil or orange blossom water in a large saucepan or pot set over medium heat. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 55 to 60 minutes, until the fruit softens and releases its juices.
- Remove from the heat, cool slightly and then run through a food mill or push through a fine-mesh sieve set over a bowl. Discard the solids. Use immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 weeks.