This fruit relish made with fresh apples and California figs is particularly good as an accompaniment to pork dishes and fish. Plumping figs in wine and water enhances their flavor and texture.
California Fig and Apple Relish with Almonds and Cumin
One of the easiest ways to jazz up chicken breast or pork is by using an apple relish recipe. Dried figs and almonds add texture to apple relish.
Servings 4 cups
- 2 cups Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stemmed and sliced 1/4" thick
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh ginger minced
- 2 Granny Smith apples peeled, cored, halved, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds toasted
- 2 tbsp brown sugar packed
- 1 1/2 tsp coriander seeds toasted and ground
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro minced
- salt and pepper
- Place figs, wine, and water in medium bowl; cover and microwave until liquid begins to boil, about 1 minute. Let stand until figs are softened and plump, about 5 minutes. Stir remaining ingredients into softened figs. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
Valley Fig Growers is a proud sponsor of Cook’s Country TV.