WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS:
For a fresh take on tuna salad, we added figs and basil. Lemon juice and Dijon mustard provided brightness and complexity.
This recipe works equally well with dark purple Mission or Golden Figs. If you can’t find Bibb lettuce, substitute red or green leaf lettuce.
California Fig-Basil Tuna Salad
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stemmed and chopped fine
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cans solid white tuna in water drained and flaked
- 2 heads Bibb lettuce 1 pound, leaves torn into bite-size pieces
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Combine mayonnaise, figs, basil, shallot, lemon juice, mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in large bowl. Stir in tuna until fully combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Evenly distribute lettuce among 4 plates. Drizzle lettuce with oil and season with salt and pepper. Divide tuna salad among 4 plates of lettuce. Serve.