California Fig & Bourbon Pecan Pie
What makes a pecan pie recipe craveworthy? Add bourbon and California dried figs for an unforgettable fig pecan pie to serve by the slice or a la mode.
Servings 8 servings
- 1 pie crust refrigerated, softened as box directs
- 1 cup Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stemmed, chopped
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp bourbon
- 3 eggs large
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp orange zest finely zested
- 1 1/2 cups pecans chopped, toasted
- sweetened whip cream
- Adjust oven rack to middle position. Preheat oven to 375°. Coat a 9-inch glass pie plate with vegetable oil spray. Fit pie crust into plate; flute edge. Chill until ready to bake.
- In medium saucepan, combine figs, brown sugar, butter and bourbon. Stir over medium heat until butter and sugar melt. Remove from heat. In medium bowl, whisk eggs and salt until well blended. Whisk in corn syrup and orange zest. Stir in fig mixture; mix well. Sprinkle nuts evenly over bottom of crust. Gently pour fig mixture over nuts in crust.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until center is just set, shielding crust with foil after 30 minutes. Cool. Chill until serving time. Pie can be made up to 1 day ahead and refrigerated. (Reheat in 300° oven for 10 to 15 minutes.) Served with whipped cream.
*Variation: Substitute1teaspoon vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons water for the bourbon. Photo David Campbell