Spanish Flan with Sherry, Dried Figs and Spiced Almond Brittle
Flan is a classic dessert. Ours is made with olorosso sherry and figs. The almond brittle served alongside might make this the best flan recipe.
Servings 6 containers
Mission Fig & Olorosso Sherry Flan
- 2 ounces Olorosso sherry
- 2 ounces Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs diced
- 4 ounces the girl & the fig spiced caramel
- 1 cup cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 ounces sugar
Spicy Almond Brittle
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp corn syrup
- 1 tbsp brandy
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 ounces butter
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp chipotle powder
- 1/2 cup almond slivers toasted
Directions for California Mission Fig & Olorosso Sherry Flan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the Olorosso sherry and figs in a saucepan and cook over low heat until sherry has been absorbed by figs. Mix together with caramel sauce.
- Place cream and milk into a saucepan. Split open vanilla bean and scrape contents into pan along with bean. Bring to a boil and turn off. Let steep for about 15 minutes or until the milk has a vanilla flavor; strain to remove vanilla bean. Meanwhile beat the eggs, yolks, maple syrup and sugar until smooth and slowly whisk in milk mixture.
- Spray ramekins with non-stick spray. Cover the bottoms of each ramekin with fig caramel. Ladle in milk and egg mixture. Place ramekins in water bath and cook for 25-35 minutes in 350 degree F. oven rotating every 15 minutes.
Directions for Spicy Almond Brittle
- Combine sugar, corn syrup, brandy & salt in a non-reactive sauce pan. Stir constantly on high heat until golden brown. Remove from heat and stir in butter & baking powder and work until incorporated. Add remaining ingredients. Spread out mixture on a silpat to 1/8” thickness. Break into desired pieces.