Couscous with Pine Nuts, Carrots, and Figs
Cous cous with pine nuts is a simple side dish perfect with grilled chicken or a hearty stew. Our pine nut cous cous adds carrots and figs for extra flavor.
Servings 6 people
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium carrots grated
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups couscous
- 1 cup chopped Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs about 6 ounces
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¾ cup toasted pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- Heat butter in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. When foaming subsides, add the grated carrots and ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon; cook, stirring frequently, until carrots soften, about 2 minutes. Add couscous and figs and cook, stirring frequently, until grains are just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add water, broth, and salt and pepper; stir briefly to combine, cover, and remove pan from heat. Let stand until grains are tender, about 7 minutes.
- Uncover and fluff grains with fork. Stir the toasted pine nuts, fresh parsley leaves, orange zest, and orange juice into couscous before serving.