French Quiche with Leeks, California Figs and Goat Cheese
- 4 ounces bacon halved lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/2" pieces
- 1 1/4 lbs leeks thinly sliced, white and light-green parts only
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves minced
- 1 1/2 tsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs
Custard and Pie Crust
- 2 eggs large
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1 Pilsbury Ready to Roll Pie Crust
For the Crust
- Roll dough out into 12-inch circle. Move dough to 9-inch pie plate, gently pressing into corners to secure and fluting edges as desired. To prevent shrinkage, refrigerate dough for 20 minutes, and then transfer to freezer for 10 minutes. Adjust oven rack to lower middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Spray two 12-inch square pieces of foil lightly with cooking spray and arrange, greased-side down, in chilled pie shell. Top with pie weights and fold excess foil over edges of dough. Bake for 20 minutes until surface of dough no longer looks wet. Carefully remove hot weights and foil and continue to bake (uncovered) until just golden, about 5 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes before proceeding with recipe. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
For the Filling
- Cook bacon in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until browned and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain bacon through mesh strainer set over small bowl; transfer bacon to paper towel-lined plate. Return 2 teaspoons bacon fat to skillet, heat over med-low heat until shimmering. Add leeks, garlic, and salt and cook, covered, until tender, about 6 minutes. Uncover and cook until bottom of pan is dry, about 3 minutes. Transfer leek mixture to bowl and let cool 5 minutes. Toss with thyme and flour until combined.
For the Custard
- Whisk eggs, cream, nutmeg, salt, and pepper in large bowl. Stir in leek mixture, dried figs and cheese and stir to combine. Fill pie shell. Sprinkle with reserved bacon. Bake until crust is golden brown and center of quiche is just set, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool on wire rack for 15 minutes. Serve.
Valley Fig Growers is a proud sponsor of Cook’s Country TV.