Grilled Chicken with California Dried Fig, Pistachio, Lemon and Shallot Relish
Jazz up a weeknight dinner with one of Joanne Weir recipes. Her grilled chicken and figs recipe is great topped with pistachio lemon shallot relish.
Servings 4 servings
For the relish:
- 10 Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs about ½ cup, stemmed and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup pistachios roasted peeled and salted
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 shallots finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the chicken and serving:
- 4 chicken breasts boned
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 bunches watercress stems removed
- Lemon wedges as a garnish
- For the relish, in a small bowl, stir together the figs and pistachios. Add the olive oil, lemon zest, parsley, shallots and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Place one chicken breast at a time between two pieces of plastic wrap and with a meat mallet, pound the chicken breast evenly until it’s 3/8-inch thick.
- Warm the oil in two large frying pans and cook the chicken in a single layer until golden, about 3 to 4 minutes. Turn the chicken, season with salt and pepper and continue to cook until done, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan and place on individual plates.
- To serve, place a spoonful of the relish in the center of the chicken and top with the watercress, dividing the relish and watercress evenly between the plates. Garnish with a lemon wedge and serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Joanne Weir.