Summer’s best—California Figs and peaches are full of fiber, vitamins, minerals and health promoting antioxidants. They’re great in summer desserts, salads, entrees and on their own as snacks. In our Peach Fig Sheet Pan Pie, they bring a dynamic’ combination of texture, fruit flavor, and color.
Sheet pan pies can also be found under the moniker, slab pie recipes. They’re shallow pies made in rectangular, rimmed baking sheets and great for feeding a crowd, thus tailor-made for all summer parties.
You can make this pie a day ahead of serving it—just know the streusel topping will be a little less crisp. To streamline the prep, the streusel and dough also can be made a day ahead of baking. Cover and chill. To peel the peaches, simmer in a large pot of boiling water for 60 seconds. With tongs or slotted spoon, remove peaches to a colander. Cool. Slip off the skins.
Peach Fig Sheet Pan Pie
- One 13-x-18-inch rimmed baking sheet
Fig and Peach Filling:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar packed
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 lb peaches ripe
- 7 ounces Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or all purpose flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 ounces unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup pecans chopped
No Roll Butter Crust:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or all purpose flour
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 ounces unsalted butter cold, cut into 1/2" pieces
To make filling:
- In a large bowl stir together granulated and brown sugars, cornstarch and salt. Peel peaches. Halve peaches, discard pits and cut into thin slices. Add to bowl with dry ingredients. Stem figs and cut into thin slices. Stir into bowl with peaches. Stir in lemon juice and vanilla. Set aside while making Streusel.
To make Streusel:
- In a small bowl stir together flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Stir in melted butter and pecans.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Make Crust in two batches using half of the ingredients for each. In food processor bowl, combine half each of the all-purpose and whole wheat pastry flours, confectioners’ sugar and salt. Pulse a few times to blend. Add half of the butter and process for 30 to 45 seconds or until mixture begins to clump together to form a dough (it will be dry and crumbly). Turn out onto13-x-18-inch baking sheet. Make a second batch of the dough with the remaining ingredients. Turn out onto sheet. With clean, dry hands, press dough into an even crust on bottom and ¾-way up sides of pan.
- Spread filling evenly over dough. Sprinkle streusel evenly over top. Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until peaches are tender and crust is golden. Cool on wire rack.
- Serve the peach fig sheet pan pie warm or at room temperature, cut into squares.
Recipe and photo by Lorelle Del Matto