Sherry-Braised Stovetop Butternut Squash with Figs
Autumn side dishes are easier with cubed butternut squash recipes. Sherry-braised stovetop butternut squash with figs is a homey way to eat fall vegetables.
Servings 6 servings
- 1 butternut or other winter squash 2 3/4 to 3 pounds
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stemmed and halved or quartered
- 1/2 cup dry sherry or orange juice
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary or 1 1/2 teaspoons crumbled dry rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Peel squash and cut into 3/4- to 1-inch chunks to measure 4 cups.
- Heat butter in large skillet or saucepan with tight-fitting lid over medium heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is golden.
- Add squash, figs, sherry, broth, rosemary and salt. Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer gently for 10 minutes or until squash is tender.
- If liquid remains, remove figs and vegetables with slotted spoon to serving bowl; simmer uncovered until liquid is reduced to 3 to 4 tablespoons. Pour liquid over squash mixture. Serve warm, garnished with parsley.