Have you ever made short ribs in the slow cooker? It’s a painless way to make an elegant meal of fall-off-the bone meat slick with spiced fig sauce. Slow cooker short ribs would be great for a dinner party with minimal prep, especially with carrots and potatoes, and especially a glass of red wine.
Saucy Slow Cooker Short Ribs with Spiced Figs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 pounds beef short ribs bone-in or boneless
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 cup red wine
- 6 shallots peeled and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Mission Figs stemmed and halved lengthwise
- 1 3/4 cups Fig BBQ Sauce
- Drizzle the oil into a heavy skillet placed over medium-high heat. Add the short ribs. Sprinkle them generously with salt and pepper. Brown the ribs thoroughly on all sides without crowding the skillet, working in batches. Move the browned meat to the slow cooker.
- Add the wine to the skillet, stirring to loosen brown bits stuck to the bottom of the skillet for about 30 seconds. Pour the wine over the meat in the slow cooker, then add the shallots, California Figs, and Fig BBQ Sauce. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, until the meat is tender and falling off the bone. (You can also cook them on the stovetop, set to low, simmering in a heavy, covered pot for 3 to 4 hours).
- Serve over mashed potatoes, noodles, rice or mashed cauliflower, spooning the sauce over the meat.