Italian Bread Pudding with White Wine + Figs
Using rustic Italian bread is the key for Italian bread pudding, baked with white wine and chewy morsels of California dried figs.
Servings 8 servings
- 1/2 lb rustic Italian bread cut into 3/4" cubes
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stemmed and diced
- 1/3 cup Gabbiano Pinot Grigio or Chianti, may substitute orange juice for wine
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp butter softened
- lightly sweetened whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place bread cubes and milk in medium bowl; set stand 15 minutes, stirring once or twice. Remove stems from the figs and coarsely chop. Bring wine to a boil in small saucepan. Add figs and simmer 2 minutes or until wine has been absorbed; set aside. Beat eggs with sugar and stir in bread cubes and soaked figs. Spread butter onto bottom and sides of 2-quart casserole dish. Spoon bread mixture into dish and bake 45 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted into center comes out clean. Let cool to warm, and serve with sweetened whipped cream. Top with sprinkle of cinnamon.