When prepping the broccoli, keep the stems and florets separate. If you don’t own a salad spinner, lay the broccoli on a clean kitchen towel to dry in step 3. You can make the salad up to six hours in advance.
Broccoli Salad with California Figs
Morsels of sweet California Figs add an unexpected twist to traditional broccoli salad. Pack up the best broccoli salad for your next picnic.
Servings 6 servings
- 6 slices bacon chopped fine
- 1 cup Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stemmed and chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli florets cut into 1-inch pieces, stalks peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup walnuts toasted and chopped coarse
- 1 large shallot minced
- Cook bacon in 10-inch skillet over medium heat until crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain on paper towel–lined plate.
- Combine 4 cups water and 4 cups ice in large bowl. Bring 3 quarts water to boil in Dutch oven. Remove 1 cup boiling water and combine with figs in small bowl; cover, let sit for 5 minutes, and drain.
- Meanwhile, add broccoli stalks to boiling water and cook for 1 minute. Add florets and cook until slightly tender, about 1 minute. Drain broccoli and place in ice water to cool. Drain again, transfer to salad spinner, and spin dry.
- Whisk mayonnaise, vinegar, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper together in large bowl. Add broccoli, drained figs, walnuts, and shallot to bowl with dressing and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with bacon and serve.
Recipe provided by Cook’s Country TV. Valley Fig Growers is a proud sponsor of Cook’s Country TV.