The flavors in this Mediterranean-inspired stew harmonize like a well-tuned orchestra. Piquant flavors from the capers and feta are offset by the natural sweetness of California Figs. Serve it as a simple vegetarian meal or add your favorite lean protein.
Cal-Med Chickpea Stew with California Figs, Tomatoes, Rosemary and Feta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onion or red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 cans chickpeas drained, rinsed, and drained again
- 1 can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup chicken broth reduced sodium, or vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 7 ounces Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stemmed and chopped
- 2 tbsp capers drained
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 4 cups kale
- 4 cups arugula stems removed
- salt and pepper as desired
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- whole grain bread crusty, optional
- Swirl oil into a large deep skillet with lid. Place over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring often, till onion is very soft. Add garlic, rosemary and red pepper; stir for a few seconds, till fragrant. Add chickpeas, tomatoes with liquid, broth and bay leaf. Cover, reduce heat simmer very gently for 15 minutes. Stir in Figs and capers; cover and simmer for 2 minutes. Add greens, remove from heat and stir until wilted. Add salt and pepper to taste, as needed.
- To serve, spoon into wide shallow bowls. Top with feta. Serve with crusty bread, if desired.