This Goat Cheese Pizza with Figs and Chicken is packed with the perfect combination of sweet + savory ingredients. It is the fig pizza of your dreams. Goat cheese and melty mozzarella wrap around warm sweet figs and juicy chicken to create a meal or appetizer that is both hearty and delicious!
Notes on Using Pizza Dough
You could make your own pizza dough, but there’s nothing wrong with using store-bought dough. Just remember that when you use cold pizza dough, it needs to come to room temperature and rest for 30 minutes on the counter—this will allow the dough to be pliable and easier to stretch. Also, you could use regular pizza dough or whole wheat if it is available.
Stretching the pizza dough can be a bit challenging at first, but it will get easier with practice. When the pizza dough is warm enough, it should stretch easily. Try turning it like the wheel of a car and that will help stretch it.
Goat Cheese Pizza Toppings
This fig pizza uses the prep time to multi-task. While the pizza dough is coming to room temperature and as the oven heats up to 450F, go ahead and cook the chicken. In a separate skillet, caramelize the onions until soft and translucent. Then, shred the chicken with two forks so it will be easy to sprinkle over the top of the fig pizza. Freshly cracking black pepper and adding on the figs of the pizza builds flavor. Crumble on the goat cheese and shredded mozzarella for the best cheesy layers.
Once the pizza is fully cooked and removed from the oven, sprinkle on the arugula and drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
We like Mission Figs on the pizza for the way it combines with balsamic vinegar, but you could also try Golden Figs for a twist.
How to Eat This Fig Pizza
This goat cheese pizza is great for serving as a snack with friends, or for a fun date night in. *Note: It is best to allow pizza dough to rest at room temperature prior to stretching for best results.
Goat Cheese Pizza with Figs & Chicken
- 1 pound fresh pizza dough*
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1/2 cup onions
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Mission Figs halved
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup goat cheese crumbles
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 1/4 cup balsamic glaze
- Preheat oven to 450While oven is coming to temperature, bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add the chicken into the boiling water. Cook for 10-12 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, heat a small saucepan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Saute the onions for 5-7 minutes, until translucent.
- While the onions and chicken cook, stretch and roll the pizza dough on a lightly floured surface into a 15-inch circle. Once rolled into a circle, place the pizza on a greased pizza pan. Gently roll the edges of the dough in towards the center to form a crust. Pour the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil on pizza dough, and brush to cover the surface of the pizza.
- Remove the onions and cooked chicken from heat. Shred the chicken by pulling apart with two forks. Add the onions, shredded chicken, California Figs and pepper to the top of the pizza. Top with goat cheese and mozzarella.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the crust is golden brown and cheese has melted.
- When the pizza is removed from the oven, top with arugula and balsamic glaze.