California Fig and Black Olive Spread
Make your own fig and olive spread to add pizzazz to sandwiches or charcuterie plates. Fig and black olive spread also tastes great on poultry.
Servings 32 servings
- 8 ounces Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stems trimmed and quartered
- 1 cup Kalamata olives pitted
- 1 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp orange zest grated
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup California Olive Ranch Olive Oil extra virgin
- Crostini for serving
- 4 ounces feta cheese rcumbled, can substitute blue cheese
- Combine the figs and 1 cup water in a small saucepan. Heat to a boil. Cook, covered, over low heat until almost all of the liquid has been absorbed, about 20 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Combine the figs, olives, fennel seeds (crushed with a mortar and pestle or the side of a heavy knife), garlic, orange zest, and black pepper in a food processor. Process until pureed, stopping to scrape the sides of the container down once or twice. With the motor running, slowly add the extra virgin olive oil. Transfer the mixture to a container or bowl, cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To serve, place the spread in a small bowl with a butter knife, and surround it with crostini. Alternatively, spread it on the crostini and serve plain or with a little crumbled cheese on top. Makes 2 cups
Recipe source: Fig Heaven© 2011 by Marie Simmons