The key to great banana bread with figs is to use ripe bananas. Whether you opt for chopped mission dried figs or golden dried figs, we have a hunch our California Fig Banana Bread will become your new favorite. If using a nonstick loaf pan, on which the sides are very slick, grease and flour sides as well as the bottom.
California Fig Banana Bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour unbleached
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1 cup Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stemmed and chopped into 1/4" pieces
- 3 bananas large, very ripe, mashed well
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 2 eggs large
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt whole or low-fat
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup macadamia nuts chopped, toasted
- Adjust oven rack to lower middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch loaf pan.
- Whisk the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt and figs together in a large bowl. In a medium bowl, whisk the mashed bananas, melted butter, eggs, yogurt, and vanilla together. Gently fold the banana mixture into the flour mixture with a rubber spatula until just combined (do not over mix). Fold in the macadamias. The batter will look thick and chunky.
- Scrape batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake until golden brown and toothpick inserted into the center comes out with just a few crumbs attached, about 55 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through baking.
- Let the loaf cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out into a wire rack and let cool for 1 hour before serving.