Try out this delicious recipe from Valley Fig!
California Fig, Spinach Grilled Cheese with Brie
Get your greens and eat grilled cheese with spinach. This Grilled Cheese with Brie is melty and pairs the sweet with the savory by adding California Figs.
Servings 4 people
- 1 tablespoon butter divided
- 1/4 cup yellow onion sliced
- pinch sea salt
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups baby spinach rinsed and drained
- 8 slices Sourdough or Boule bread
- 8 ounces Brie cheese more or less, to taste
- 1 cup Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Mission Figs stemmed and thinly sliced
- In a large skillet, melt 1/4 tablespoon butter. Add onions and salt, and cook over low heat for 7-10 minutes. Remove onions and set aside.
- In same skillet, melt 1/4 tablespoon butter. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add spinach and stir until wilted.
- ONIONS OPTION: You can skip cooking the onions separately. If so, then DICE the onions, and add them to the skillet 2-3 minutes before adding the garlic.
- Lay 4 slices of bread on a flat surface. Spread cheese equally across all 4 slices of bread. Top with figs and then spinach mixture, all spread equally across bread slices. Cover each with top slice of bread, and butter the outside of the top slices.
- Turn on heat to medium. When skillet is warm, add sandwiches, buttered side down.
- Place another clean skillet on top of sandwiches, and press down. You should hear a little bit of sizzle. Toast bread for 3 minutes. Remove top skillet, and butter the bread. Carefully flip sandwiches over, and replace the clean skillet on top. Toast for another 3 1/2 minutes.
- Remove sandwiches and repeat with remaining sandwiches. Slice sandwiches in half, and serve immediately.
NOTE ON CHEESE: I use 2 ounces of cheese per sandwiches. Of course, you can use more or less, to taste. With 2 ounces you won’t get the dripping, melty cheese, but the cheese still melts beautifully into the sandwich. Recipe and Photo by Karyl Henry