Dinner in 30 minutes is a cinch when you start with sausages. Served with quick California Fig chutney, the crispy smashed potatoes and sausages makes a hearty meal great with sautéed cabbage.
Sausages with Crispy Smashed Potatoes and Quick Fig Chutney
Dinner in a dash starts with quick fig chutney. Served alongside sauteed sausage and crispy smashed potatoes, this will become your last minute go-to meal.
Servings 4 servings
- 1 cup Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Mission Figs stemmed and chopped
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 1 cup Spiced Fig Not Ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 pound small yellow or white potatoes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 large Italian sausages uncooked
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper and salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Make the Quick Fig Chutney: Combine the California Figs, onion, Spiced Fig Not Ketchup, and fennel seeds in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Turn off the flame.
- Put the potatoes and salt in a large saucepan and cover with 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until fork-tender. Drain. Smash each potato on a cutting board with the base of the saucepan to flatten them into a ragged flat disk. Line them up along one side of the baking sheet, arranging the sausages on the other side. Drizzle the potatoes with the olive oil. Add a dash of salt and pepper.
- Cook the sausages and potatoes for about 30 minutes, turning the potatoes halfway so each side crisps and browns. Serve immediately with the Quick California Fig Chutney on the side.
Recipe and photo by Erika Kerekes