California Figgy-Fudgey Pudding Cake
Do you love surprises? Dip a spoon into this chocolate pudding cake and watch the chocolate ooze out. This figgy hot fudge pudding cake is irresistible.
Servings 9 servings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder unsweetened
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs chopped
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate morsels optional
- 1/4 cup pecans toasted, chopped
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder unsweetened
- 1 3/4 cup tap water hot
- Heat oven to 350° F. In ungreased 8 or 9-inch square pan, stir together flour, sugar, 3 TBS cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. With fork, blend in milk, butter and vanilla until smooth. Stir in figs, chocolate morsels and pecans. Sprinkle brown sugar and remaining 1⁄4 cup cocoa evenly over top. Pour hot water evenly over top. Do not stir. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until sauce forms on bottom and cake on top is set. Cool for 15 minutes. Serve in dessert dishes, spooning sauce from bottom of pan over each serving. Top with ice cream or whipped cream and fresh raspberries, if desired.
Photo: George Selland.