Chocolate California Fig Bread Pudding
Servings 6 servings
- 4 cups white bread firm, 3/4" cubes
- 1 cup Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stems removed, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chocolate morsels or coarsely chopped chocolate
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 eggs large
- 1.4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 6 tbsp butter 1
- 1 egg large, beaten
- 1/4 cup dark rum or brandy
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 1 1/2-quart baking dish. Combine bread cubes, figs and chocolate in baking dish. Heat milk and butter until butter is melted (do not boil). Combine eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt; blend well. Add hot milk mixture to egg mixture, stirring constantly. Pour over bread and fig mixture. Let stand 5 minutes. Bake uncovered for 50 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. If desired, baked pudding can be made several days ahead.
- Cover and refrigerate. Reheat in 325 degree oven for 15 minutes. Prepare Spirited Sauce. Serve warm over bread pudding.
- In saucepan, combine all sauce ingredients. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, about 3 minutes.