Candied California Fig Tart With Toasted Almond Crust
When the holidays come around, you need this candied fig tart recipe. Made with a toasted almond crust, this candied fig tart will wow your guests!
Servings 8 servings
Toasted Almond Crust
- 2/3 cups almonds whole, natural, toasted
- 5 tbsp butter softened
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp grated lemon peel
- 8 ounces Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs
- 3/4 cups water
- 4 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp grated lemon peel
- 2 tbsp almonds sliced, toasted
- powdered sugar
Toasted Almond Crust
- Heat oven to 350º. Coat a 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom with vegetable cooking spray. In bowl of food processor, pulse almonds until finely ground. In mixer bowl, cream butter and sugar; beat in yolk, then almonds to blend thoroughly. Mix in flour to blend thoroughly. Gather dough into a ball and press evenly into tart pan. Bake in center of oven about 25 minutes until golden brown. Cool on rack.
- In small bowl, mix all ingredients to blend thoroughly; cover and set aside.
- Trim stems from figs, then halve vertically. In 2-quart saucepan, mix all ingredients and bring to boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer about 25 minutes, mixing often until figs are glazed and about 3 tablespoons liquid remains. Remove from heat; cool to room temperature.
- Remove side of tart pan and place crust on serving plate. Evenly spread filling in crust. Arrange fig halves on filling; drizzle with any remaining liquid. Garnish with almonds and dust lightly with powdered sugar. Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 1 hour.
* To toast almonds, spread in an ungreased baking pan. Place in 350 degree oven and bake 5 to 10 minutes or until almonds are light brown; stir once or twice to assure even browning. Note that almonds will continue to brown slightly after removing from oven. NOTES: All components of the tart can be prepared a day in advance. Wrap and store cooled crust at room temperature; cover and refrigerate filling and figs in separate containers and store sliced almonds in plastic bag. Bring filling and figs to room temperature before assembling tart.