Chewy Ginger Molasses California Fig Cookies
Move over gingersnap for fig chewy ginger cookies! Seasoned with spice, the classic chewy ginger molasses cookies get extra goodness from chopped figs.
Servings 30 cookies
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg white large
- 3 tbsp light molasses
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stemmed, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350°. Beat brown sugar and oil in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until blended. Beat in egg white and molasses. In separate bowl combine flour, ginger, soda, cinnamon and salt. On low speed, slowly beat in flour mixture until combined. With spoon, stir in figs.
- Shape 1-tablespoons portions of dough into balls. Roll in granulated sugar. Place 2 1/2-inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Place sheet in center of oven and bake cookies 7 to 9 minutes, until crackled on top set around edges. Cool on wire rack.
Photo: David Campbell.