Chocolate California Fig bon bons are tempting sweets you can wrap up in cello bags for a gift or as a two-bite dessert. The chocolate fig balls are pretty easy to make too.
Figs and Chocolate
Both Sun-Maid and Orchard Choice Golden Figs and Mission Figs work beautifully in the fig chocolate balls. Golden Figs have a slightly nutty, delicately sweet flavor while Mission Figs bring more of a deep jammy sweetness. The main thing would be considering what kind of chocolate you’re going to use. Milk and dark chocolates pair exceptionally well with Mission Figs. White and Dulcey chocolates are natural partners to Golden Figs.
How to Make the Fig Chocolate Bon Bons
The most important tool to make the fig chocolate balls easy is a food processor. The main technique in this recipe is to process the figs, hazelnuts and vanilla wafers until finely ground. Then, powdered sugar, rum and orange peel get added in, processing until mixed.
By dampening your hands, you will be able to easily shape the processed mixture into the chocolate balls, placing them on a rimmed baking sheet. Next, you’ll melt the chocolate to drizzle over the top.
Chocolate Melting Tips
Microwaving chocolate is a great way to melt it, but go slow. A quick burst of 30 seconds and then stirring or setting the microwave to 50 percent power can help ensure even melting without burning the chocolate. Here’s a pro-tip for supple drizzling (if you’re planning to drizzle): add a few drops of vegetable oil to thin the chocolate.
Drizzle or Dip
Dip the tips of a fork in the chocolate and quickly drizzle over the fig balls, or dip each ball in chocolate. Refrigerate until chocolate is set. Store in airtight container up to 1 week.
Chocolate California Fig Bon Bons
- 8 ounces Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stems removed
- 2/3 cup hazelnuts or almonds, toasted
- 8 vanilla wafer cookies crushed
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup rum
- 1 tsp grated orange peel
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate or white chocolate
- vegetable oil
- Process figs, hazelnuts and vanilla wafers in food processor until finely ground. Add powdered sugar, rum and orange peel; process until mixed. Dampen hands and shape mixture into 1 1/4-inch balls. Arrange close together on a baking sheet or wire rack.
- In small, deep, microwave-safe bowl, heat chocolate on HIGH 1-2 minutes, stirring after 1 minute. Add a few drops of vegetable oil if needed to make chocolate thin enough to drizzle. Dip the tips of a fork in the chocolate and quickly drizzle over the fig balls, or dip each ball in chocolate. Refrigerate until chocolate is set. Store in airtight container up to 1 week.