Chocolate Pudding with Amaretto California Figs
Dessert doesn't have to be hard. Our Easy Chocolate Pot de Creme with Fig Almond Topping is for chocolate lovers!
Servings 4 servings
- 1 cup Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stemmed and sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 tbsp amaretto or 1/4 tsp pure almond extract
Bittersweet Chocolate Pudding:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 egg large
- 12 ounces evaporated skimmed milk divided
- 1 ounces bittersweet chocolate chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds optional, lightly toasted
- whipped topping optional
To Make Figs:
- In small saucepan, combine figs, water and sugar. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced to about 2 tablespoons, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in amaretto or almond extract. Cool. Chill until serving time.
To Make Pudding:
- In medium bowl whisk sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, egg and 1/4 cup milk until smooth. Heat remaining milk in small saucepan over medium heat until steaming. Slowly whisk hot milk into sugar mixture. Return mixture to saucepan and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and add chocolate. Stir until melted and smooth. Stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Chill until serving time.
- Spoon pudding into 4 small dessert dishes, dividing evenly. Top with figs. Sprinkle with almonds. Or, layer pudding and figs (pudding, figs, pudding) in 4 small glass parfaits dishes. Garnish with dollop of whipped cream, if desired, and a sprinkle of almonds.
Photo David Campbell