Strawberry shortcake is for the birds! Make a pot of this fig compote recipe to spoon onto chocolate shortcake– the combination is divine.
Chocolate Shortcakes with California Fig-Raspberry Compote
Servings 9 servings
California Fig-Raspberry Compote:
- 2 cups 100% berry juice cranberry-raspberry or cranberry-pomegranate
- 4 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp sugar more to taste
- 7 ounces Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stemmed and halved
- 3 cups fresh raspberries
- 2 tbsp raspberry liqueur or orange liqueur, optional
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate or semisweet or mini chocolate chips, chopped
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg white lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 tsp coarse sugar or granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt 2%
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp vanilla
To make Fig-Raspberry Compote
- In a saucepan, whisk together juice, cornstarch and 1 tablespoon sugar. Bring to a simmer, whisking often, and simmer for 30 seconds or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in Figs and liqueur. Add additional sugar, to taste. Cool to room temperature. Chill 2 hours or until serving time.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or oiled foil.
To make shortcakes
- In medium bowl whisk together flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in chocolate.
- Place cream and vanilla in small bowl. Beat with electric mixer to soft peaks. Stir into dry ingredients. (Chill bowl and beaters for making topping)
- Turn dough out onto a piece of parchment or wax paper. With lightly oiled hands, knead about 10 times, just to form a ball. (Dough will be sticky.) Place dough on parchment-lined sheet. Pat to a 5-inch square. With oiled knife, cut into 9 squares. Separate squares allowing about 1-inch between each. If desired, brushed tops with egg white and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake cakes for 10 minutes or until pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on rack.
- While shortcakes bake, make Yogurt Cream. In chilled bowl, combine yogurt, 1/3 cup whipping cream, 1 ½ tablespoons sugar and 1/8 teaspoon vanilla. Beat with electric mixer to soft peaks. Cover and chill until serving time.
To serve shortcakes
- stir raspberries into Compote. Spoon a little Compote on bottom of serving dishes. Split shortcakes in half lengthwise. Place bottom half over Compote. Top with a small spoonful of Compote and Yogurt Cream. Cover with top half of cakes and a small dab of the Cream. Garnish with mint sprigs, if desired.
Photo: Lorelle Del Matto.
Recipe and photo by Lorelle Del Matto