A chopped Israeli salad with feta will be your new favorite kind of salad to eat during the summer and beyond.
Ingredients in Chopped Israeli Salad with Feta
The salad is a bit like a Greek salad but with fresh mint, oregano, and parsley. The trio of fresh herbs add more than color but are an essential building of flavor to the salad.
Dressed simply and tossed with a tumble of fresh herbs, we love how plump Orchard Choice California Mission Figs add a touch of sweetness to this salad with snappy flavors. Mission Figs bring a familiar fig taste while Golden Figs offer more of a nutty, delicately sweet taste.
If you can get your hands on Greek block feta, cube it to make this Israeli salad with feta as you’ll get well-balanced bites of cheese, vegetables, figs and herbs.
The dressing is bright and light with a mix of lemon juice and vinegar cut with olive oil and seasoned with salt and black pepper.
I prefer using Persian cucumbers as they’re not quite as seedy and juicy, ripe tomatoes.
Make It a Meal
If you’re vegetarian, you can make this side dish a main dish by adding in drained and rinsed cannellini beans or chickpeas, or even try compressing tofu to serve on top. For omnivores, grill some kebabs or salmon to serve alongside for a meal that doesn’t require turning on the oven (and is great at picnics or potlucks).
Chopped Israeli Salad with Figs
- Juice of 1 lemon 2 1/2 tablespoons
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 diced Persian cucumbers 1 1/2 cups
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes quartered
- 7 ounces Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Mission Figs
- 5 ounce block feta cheese diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 scallion thinly sliced
- 2 sprigs mint leaves finely chopped (2 tablespoons)
- 1 sprig oregano leaves finely chopped (1 tablespoon)
- 20 sprigs Italian parsley leaves finely chopped (6 tablespoons)
- Whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, salt and pepper in a bowl. Drip the olive oil in a thin stream into the vinegar, whisking the whole time until emulsified.
- Add the cucumbers, tomatoes, mission dried figs, feta, scallion, mint, oregano, and parsley into a large bowl. Gently toss in the dressing. Serve immediately.*