The dark chocolate bark recipe below is a cinch to make. It’s the kind of treat you could make on a weeknight when the urge strikes or during the holidays as a homemade gift.
All about California Dried Figs
Two schools of thought when it comes to dark chocolate and figs. We love the flavor pairing of Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid Mission Figs with their jammy earthy sweetness that softens the slight bittersweet flavor of dark chocolate. Orchard Choice and Sun-Maid Golden Figs add a pop of contrast to dark chocolate too, while their flavor is slightly nutty and delicately sweet. Use both figs in the chocolate bark for a twist!
Chocolate Bark is Chock Full of Crunchy, Chewy Flavor
Chocolate bark is as simple as melting the dark chocolate, topping it with the chopped figs and nuts, and then chilling it until set. But, not all chocolate is the same.
All about Dark Chocolate
If you use chocolate chips, they are formed using an emulsifier to help them keep their shape. Our preferred style of chocolate to use would be chocolate chunks made from chopping a chocolate bar—the thing you want to aim for is to aim on getting the chocolate around the same size so the melting is uniform. Large chunks and small pieces can lead to uneven melting.
Find a dark chocolate you would like to eat to make the dark chocolate bark recipe below. Then, give and wrap in wax paper, fun designed cookie tins or even quart-sized glass jars.
Dark Chocolate Bark with California Figs & Nuts
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate bar or semisweet bar, broken into small pieces
- 1/2 cup Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stemmed, chopped
- 1/2 cup mixed nuts chopped, salted or lightly salted
- 2 ounces white chocolate broken into small pieces
- Melt bittersweet chocolate as package directs. Stir figs and nuts into melted chocolate. Spread on foil-lined baking sheet to thickness of about 1/4-inch. Chill until firm, about 30 minutes.
- For white chocolate drizzle, melt white chocolate as package directs. Scrape into small plastic bag; seal bag. Snip tiny hole in corner of bag. Squeeze bag to drizzle chocolate over bark. (Or dip teaspoon in chocolate and drizzle over bark.) Chill 30 minutes or until firm.
- Peel bark off foil and break into irregular 1 1/2- to 2-inch pieces. Store in airtight container at room temperature. Makes 24 to 28 pieces.