Apple turnovers bring the bakery home. This apple turnover recipe is easier to make than it looks. This is a breakfast for apple lovers and you will love how the figs bring out the tangy flavor of the apples.
What Kinds of Apples in Apple Turnovers
Two kinds of apples are used in this apple turnover recipe. Ready-to-eat applesauce is a quick hack for the filling. The variety of sweet applesauce and tart coarsely chopped Granny Smith apples add texture and taste. Nutty and delicately sweet Golden Figs are a good choice, but Mission Figs with their familiar sweetness are delicious in the flaky crust too.
How to Use Puff Pastry in the Apple Turnover Recipe
Unfold one sheet of puff pastry on lightly floured counter and roll into 10-inch square. Cut the pastry into four 5-inch squares. Mound 1 tablespoon applesauce and 1 tablespoon of fig and apple mixture in the center of each square.
Then, brush the edges of each square with strained juice and fold the puff pastry into triangles. Crimp the edges together with a fork to seal. Lay the apple turnovers on a wire rack and freeze for 15 minutes (or refrigerate for 30 minutes). Repeat the process with the remaining sheet of puff pastry, applesauce, and fig apple filling.
Easy California Fig and Apple Turnovers
- 1 Granny Smith apple peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs chpped, stems removed
- 1/2 cup sugar plus 2 tbsp
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp table salt
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry 9 by 9 1/2" sheets
- flour for dusting
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Unfold one sheet of puff pastry on lightly floured counter and roll into 10-inch square. Following photos, cut pastry into four 5-inch squares. Mound 1 tablespoon applesauce and 1 tablespoon of fig and apple mixture in center of each square. Brush edges of each square with strained juice and fold into triangles. Crimp edges together with fork to seal. Lay turnovers on wire rack and freeze for 15 minutes (or refrigerate for 30 minutes). Repeat with remaining sheet of pastry, applesauce, and fig and apple filling
- Adjust two oven racks to upper- and lower-middle positions and heat oven to 400 degree. Pulse apple, figs, 1/2 cup sugar, lemon juice and salt in food processor until apple and figs are coarsely ground, about 5 one-second pulses. Let fig-apple mixture sit for 5 minutes, then drain through fine meshed strainer set over medium bowl, reserving any accumulated juice.
- Toss remaining 2 tablespoons sugar with cinnamon. Remove rack from freezer, brush turnovers with reserved juice, then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Lay turnovers on two parchment-lined baking sheets and bake until well browned, 20 to 26 minutes, rotating and switching baking sheets halfway through baking. Transfer turnovers to wire rack and let cool slightly before serving.