Giant Picnic Sandwich with Fig Olive Spread Recipe
The best picnic sandwiches are easy to transport. Why prepare several when you can slice & serve one giant picnic sandwich with fig olive spread recipe.
Servings 8 servings
- 8 ounces Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs, stems removed
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup pitted and chopped kalamata olives
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil 1 1/2 teaspoons dry basil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 round 24 oz. sourdough, French or Italian bread, unsliced
- 1 pound assorted sliced deli meats and cheeses turkey, ham, provolone
- Thinly slice figs. Combine with remaining filling ingredients; set aside.
- Cutting horizontally, remove top third of loaf. Hollow out bottom portion of loaf, leaving a 1-inch shell. Pack filling into bottom of loaf, reserving about 3 tablespoons of liquid.
- Brush liquid on cut side of top. Layer sliced meats over filling. Replace top of bread loaf. Wrap in airtight plastic bag. Place loaf upside down in refrigerator.
- Weight with 5-pounds (e.g. bag of sugar) and refrigerate for 3 to 12 hours. To serve, turn up-right and cut into wedges.
Photography George Selland