Holiday coffee creamer isn’t just reserved for peppermint mocha, eggnog, or gingerbread. Making a DIY coffee creamer with Golden Figs brings a taste of autumn and winter to your coffee cup. If you’ve never had figs and coffee before, you’re in for a treat—figs complement the roasty flavor of your morning brew.
What Kind of Figs to Use in Holiday Coffee Creamer
For the holiday coffee creamer, we suggest using Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid Golden Figs. Their delicate sweetness is a little tangy and nutty in flavor. The color of the resulting DIY coffee creamer resembles a toasty dulce de leche (and kind of tastes like it too). You could certainly use our Mission Figs for a twist on the creamer that takes it more into the familiar flavor of your favorite childhood cookie and deeper color too. This is a coffee creamer for fig lovers!
A Few Ingredients is All You Need for DIY Coffee Creamer
All you need are three ingredients (with an optional addition we explore below): whole milk, sugar, and Golden Figs.
How to Make DIY Coffee Creamer with Figs
The method to make this holiday coffee creamer is straightforward and simple. You will make a milk simple syrup, cooking the milk and sugar over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Off-heat, stir in the quartered figs, so they can steep in the hot sweetened milk for about 30 minutes.
Then, blend until mostly smooth. Strain (or double-strain if you like) using a fine-mesh strainer set over a bowl, stirring the liquid in the strainer basket until only the solids remain (more on the solids in a moment). Transfer the strained creamer in a sealed container, stirring in the remaining 1 cup of whole milk or, you can shake the jar once closed. To make it extra creamy, you could also stir in an optional 1/4 cup of heavy cream, or omit if you like.
Store the creamer in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Creamer with Benefits: Fig Milk Jam
Those solids you strained out of the DIY coffee creamer are an incredible fig milk jam! Transfer them to a sealed container to store in the refrigerator. We like to spread it on toast. Try it as a topping for oatmeal, yogurt, or French Toast. Or, one of our other favorite ways to use it is mixed into pancake batter so every bite has a hint of gorgeous Golden Fig flavor in it. You could also use it to make Fig Thumbprint Cookies; add it to a dessert nibble board. Or, give a jar of it as an edible gift to pull out of the fridge during holiday breakfasts.
Fig Holiday Coffee Creamer
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk (divided)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 8 ounce bag Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid Mission Dried Golden Figs , stemmed and quartered
- 1/4 cup heavy cream optional
- In a saucepan, pour 1 1/2 cups whole milk with the sugar set over medium heat. You want to cook the mixture until the sugar dissolves: Cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn heat to medium low and cook an additional 3 minutes, stirring as needed. Turn off the heat.
- Stir in the figs. Set aside to steep for 30 minutes.
- In a blender, process until almost smooth (it will be pretty thick). Set a fine-mesh strainer over a bowl.
- Pour the creamer into the strainer and stir until what remains in the strainer basket resembles a dry paste. Set aside the solids and store separately in the refrigerator.
- Strain the creamer again if desired and add in the remaining 1 cup of whole milk, and 1/4 cup of heavy cream if desired. Store the creamer in a sealed container in the refrigerator.