You can get your hands on so many grilled chicken salad recipes, but a few things make this one stand out. First off, you grill the lettuce, which not only makes the salad a stunner and deepens the flavor. Salty feta and chunks of California Figs gives each bite of grilled chicken salad a bit of pop.
Figtastic Grilled Chicken Salad
- 1/2 cup Spiced Fig Not Ketchup
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Juice of 2 limes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 heads Romaine lettuce washed, outer leaves removed
- 2 red onions
- 1 pound thinly sliced chicken cutlets
- 1 1/2 cups Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Mission Figs stemmed and chopped
- 1 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1 cup walnuts roughly chopped
- Make the Spiced Fig dressing: in a small bowl, whisk together the Spiced Fig Not Ketchip, 1/4 cup of the olive oil, mustard, and lime juice with a dash of salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat an outdoor grill or stovetop grill to medium. Halve the lettuce heads lengthwise, keeping the core at the bottom intact. Cut the onions lengthwise into thick wedges, keeping the stem intact. Brush the lettuce, onions, and chicken with the remaining olive oil. Sprinkle on salt and pepper.
- Grill the lettuce until slightly wilted, 1-2 minutes per side. Cook the onion for about 3 minutes on each side or until well-marked. Grill the chicken until cooked through, about 3 minutes on each side. Cut the chicken into strips.
- Assemble the salad: place one lettuce wedge on each plate. Top with grilled onions, chicken, California Figs, feta, and walnuts. Drizzle generously with the Spiced Fig dressing. Serve immediately.