Salmon-California Fig Kebabs with Orange-Balsamic Glaze
Stick to kebabs and try this salmon skewer recipe when it's too hot to turn on the oven. Brush on extra flavor of the orange fig balsamic glaze recipe.
Servings 4 servings
- 6 to 8 (10-incbamboo skewers)
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped or pressed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 16 Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stemmed
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless salmon fillet
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1/2 medium red onion
- 3/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or parsley
- Cooked brown rice optional
- Soak bamboo skewers in water to prevent burning when cooking kebabs. In small saucepan, combine orange juice, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add figs. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 minute. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, cut salmon into 1 1/4-inch cubes. Sprinkle on all sides with 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cut bell pepper and onion into 1 1/4-inch squares. Remove figs with slotted spoon to separate bowl, reserving liquid in saucepan for glaze. Heat oven to 450°F.* Thread salmon on skewers, alternating with figs, bell pepper and onion pieces. Place on oiled rack over a foil-lined baking sheet. Roast 18 to 22 minutes, turning after 10 minutes, until fish flakes. While fish cooks, add cornstarch to reserved liquid in saucepan and stir with whisk until blended. Add olive oil. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and brush or spoon glaze over kebabs. Sprinkle with fresh thyme. Serve over rice, if desired.
*Or heat grill. Thread salmon, figs and vegetables on skewers as directed. Grill kebabs over moderate to low, indirect heat, turning frequently, until fish flakes.