German Chocolate Cake with Californian Fig, Coconut and Toasted Pecan Frosting
Easy German chocolate cake is a classic. Adding California Figs to coconut pecan frosting contributes a chewy bite to the crunchy texture.
Servings 24 servings
- 18 1/4 ounces German Chocolate Cake Mix
- water check package label for amount
- 3 eggs large
- vegetable oil check package label for amount
- 1 cup Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stemmed, chopped
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup butter
- 6 tbsp whipping cream
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup pecans chopped, toasted
- Follow package directions to heat oven, grease two 8-inch round cake pans and prepare cake batter with water, eggs and oil. Bake and cool as directed. For frosting, in medium saucepan combine figs, sugar, butter and cream. Stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a simmer. Simmer 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in coconut and pecans. Spread warm frosting on top of cake layers, dividing evenly. Place one layer at a time on a baking sheet or heatproof pan. Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat for 15 to 30 seconds, or until frosting bubbles, watching constantly. Remove from oven. Repeat with second layer. Cool. Transfer cake layers to serving plates to serve.