This lettuce wrap recipe is a great way to serve any kind of grilled meat, especially for those trying to cut down on bread. In addition to Bibb lettuce, try Romaine, red leaf lettuce or even small cabbage leaves with our fig grilled chicken lettuce wraps.
Grilled chicken lettuce wraps are a simple no-oven needed meal. So, here’s an idea: grill extra chicken so that you can make this lettuce wrap recipe in mere minutes.
The chicken is seasoned with just salt and pepper and then grill the chicken over medium-high heat (400F degrees). Cook the chicken for about 3-4 minutes on each side, brushing generously with Fig BBQ Sauce. Once the chicken has cooled enough to handle, you’ll chop it.
Fig BBQ Sauce Makes the Lettuce Wraps
BBQ chicken takes on a whole new meaning with Fig BBQ Sauce. It’s a little bit spicy with chipotle, a little bit sweet from the Orchard Choice and Sun-Maid Mission Figs along with brown sugar, and a little bit tangy from balsamic vinegar. The barbecue sauce is a condiment for summer and beyond. You will love it brushed onto the grilled chicken for the lettuce wrap recipe below… and so many other ways. Shred the BBQ grilled chicken instead to use with extra Fig BBQ sauce for a Fig BBQ Chicken Pizza (perfect with thinly sliced red onions and cilantro). Try the barbecue sauce with fish like Charcoal-Grilled Salmon. Or, if you swing plant-based the sauce is great on tofu and tempeh too. You could even use a smidge of it in a peanut sauce to toss with noodles for a cold noodle salad.
Onto the lettuce wraps, spoon the chopped BBQ chicken with shredded red cabbage, water chestnuts and peanuts for crunch with an extra flourish of cilantro. Once the lettuce wraps are loaded up with toppings, plan on serving them immediately.
Saucy Fig Grilled Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 1 pound thin chicken breast cutlets
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup Fig BBQ Sauce , divided
- 1 head Bibb lettuce , also called Boston lettuce or butter lettuce, washed, leaves separated
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- ½ cup canned water chestnuts , drained and roughly chopped
- ½ cup Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs , chopped
- ¼ cup peanuts , chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro , chopped
- Heat the grill to medium-high (400F degrees).
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Grill the chicken until cooked through, 3-4 minutes on each side, brushing generously with Fig BBQ Sauce. Set the chicken aside to cool, then chop it.
- Lay 8 lettuce leaves out on a large platter. Divide the red cabbage evenly among the lettuce leaves, then top with the grilled chicken, water chestnuts, chopped figs, peanuts and cilantro. Drizzle with more Fig BBQ Sauce.
- Serve immediately.