Do you have a favorite side dish during the holidays? For many, a good bread cubed stuffing recipe is all you need, especially when they include sweet mission dried figs into the mix. Paired with sweet and tart cranberry sauce, this side dish makes a holiday table festive. Once you know how to make stuffing with dried bread cubes, customize as you like.
Holiday Fig Bread Cubed Stuffing Recipe
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot
- 3 tablespoons butter divided use
- 1 cup chopped Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Mission Dried Figs
- 1/2 cup chopped cooked smoked lean sausage
- 3/4 cup dry sherry or chicken broth
- 4 cups cubed herb-seasoned dry bread stuffing mix
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted almonds
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- Heat oven to 350 degrees In large deep skillet or Dutch oven, stir and cook onion, celery, and carrot in 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat until onion is soft. Stir in figs, sausage and sherry; simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in bread cubes, nuts, parsley and 1/3 cup chicken broth. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in egg. Form mounded 1⁄2-cup portions of stuffing into balls, packing tightly and moistening with additional chicken broth if needed. Place on greased baking sheet. Melt remaining butter and brush on balls. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until hot and golden.