Lavash Pizza with Greens, California Dried Figs, Gorgonzola and Almonds
A fun way to eat your greens is to make salad pizza. Adding figs, gorgonzola, and almonds on top makes this one of our favorite lavash pizza recipes.
Servings 6 people
- 1/2 cup whole almonds
- 1 1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 pieces lavash cut into 8"x12" rectangle
- 6 ounces fontina or mozzarella, coarsely grated
- 8 cups baby salad greens
- 1 cup Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs stems removed and qurtered
- 4 ounces gorgonzola or other blue-veined cheese, crumbled
- Preheat an oven to 350ºF. Place the almonds on a baking sheet and bake until light golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Chop the almonds coarsely. This can be done several hours in advance. Increase the oven temperature to 400ºF. In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar and olive oil and season with salt and pepper. This can be done several hours in advance. Five to ten minutes before serving, place one sheet of the lavash on a baking sheet. Bake in the oven until it just begins to take on a light golden color, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the grated fontina onto the top distributing evenly. Place the lavash in the oven again and bake until the cheese is melted and the lavash is golden and crisp, 2 to 3 minutes.
- In the meantime, toss the salad greens, dried figs and almonds with the vinaigrette. When the lavash is golden and crisp, remove from the oven and top with one-quarter of the salad. Sprinkle with one-quarter of the Gorgonzola onto the top. Cut into squares or rough shapes and serve immediately. Repeat with the remaining ingredients making 4 lavash pizzas in total.
Recipe from Joanne Weir. Valley Fig Growers is a proud sponsor of Joanne Weir’s Cooking Class TV series, airing on public television stations nationwide.